19 June 2012

Couscous sweet potato salad with halloumi

Let me just say: I adore, I love, I worship halloumi cheese. It doesn't melt when you fry or grill it, it has that wonderful squeaky feel when you chew it and an indescribable salty taste. It's just heaven.
Pair it with some couscous and sweet potato and enjoy your perfect arabian-style supper. 




Yes, I know, the picture isn't the prettiest. But I have to admit I didn't really make an effort. I was, as a matter of fact, very hungry.

I based this dish on a recipe I found on Tastespotting but I can't seem to find the source again. Sorry. If this is your recipe and you want me to link back to you, just send me the link to your blog.



Couscous sweet potato salad with halloumi

Serves 1

100 g/1 cup halloumi
Half a sweet potato
150 g/0.5 cup couscous
250 ml/1 cup vegetable stock
Quarter a cucumber
Cumin
Olive oil
Salt Maple syrup
Juice from half a lemon
A few leaves of lemon balm


Preheat the oven to 220° C.

Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and put them on a baking tray. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and salt, making sure all the cubes are evenly coated. Pop the tray into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. They should be slightly crispy on the outside but not charred, dry or too soft.

Meanwhile, put the couscous in a medium bowl and pour the vegetable stock on top. Leave it until the couscous soaked up all the fluid.

Cube the halloumi and fry it with a bit of oil until faintly brown and crispy on the outside.

Chop the cucumber and combine it in a bowl with the couscous, the sweet potato cubes and the halloumi.

Mix the lemon juice with some olive oil, a pinch of salt and a generous pinch of cumin, then pour it over the salad. Chop the lemon balm and sprinkle it on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment