29 October 2011

Pasta with squash, pear and pomegranate

Actually, I was supposed to spend this weekend in Norway's beautiful capital to visit my friend who has been living there for more than a year. My week was very busy and stressful, nevertheless I was very much looking forward to this trip. Fate, however, had other plans and so I'm currently tucked in my bed with a fever and aching limbs. Fuck. (Sorry.)
There are only a few reasons which make me see this development in a slightly positive light: I finally have a good excuse to spend several days in a row in bed. I have time to watch my favourite films and tv programmes, and to read. And I have time to post some delicious recipes I made over the past week.
Apart from that I'm still a bit grumpy and would much rather be in Oslo than here. Tough luck.


Pasta with squash, pear and pomegranate
Serves 1

As much pasta as you want (wholewheat for me, please)
250 g/0.5 cup pumpkin puree (alternatively raw butternut or onion squash)
Half a red onion
Half a firm pear
Half a pomegranate
About 100 ml/0.5 cups water (or cream or white wine)
0.5 tsp cinnamon
1 generous pinch of cardamon
Some olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box.

Dice the pear and the onion. If you don't use pumpkin puree, grate the squash.

Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan and sweat the onions until translucent. Add the pear and the squash (if you use grated squash and not the puree). Season with salt and pepper, and fry for another few minutes.

Add the pumpkin puree (if you didn't choose the grated squash) and the water, and stir. If you feel fancy-schmancy and decadent, you can substitute white wine or cream (or a mixture of both) for the water. I was ill when I made this and felt like neither.

Season with cinnamon and cardamon, and cook for about 5 minutes. Scoop out the pomegranate's pulp and add it to the sauce. Stir a few times, then add to the pasta and combine.

Pour the pasta and sauce into a bowl and eat it on your bed, watching Black Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment