19 February 2012

The Vitamin Bomb or Just Another Salad

I've been craving quite a lot of very healthy food lately. The days of stuffing myself with chocolate and cheese seem to have disappeared with the snow, and with the more vernal temperatures outside, it is definitely time to integrate a bit of spring into my daily menu.

 

This salad contains a whole lot of healthy, good stuff and has a delightfully spring-y, sunny, lively taste. It also containes some fruits which I, personally, love in salads. Salads that only contain vegetables are boring. Booooring.
This one isn't.





The bread in the background is homemade, of course, but there won't be a recipe because I used an organic, store-bought mix where I only had to add yeast and water. Shame on me, I know. I already had my punishment since the yeast I used didn't rise (because its best before date had expired almost four years ago... ...er... ...um... For my defence, I have to say that it was dry yeast and by looking at it, you couldn't tell that it was supposed to have landed in a dumpster in 2008) and I had to run to the supermarket to buy some fresh yeast. It all worked out in the end, though, and the result is very tasty.


The Vitamin Bomb

Serves 1

A generous handful of mixed salads (I used lamb's lettuce and something else I forgot the name of)
A kiwi
Half an apple
About one quarter of a cucumber
4 Tbsp sunflower seeds
Soy sauce

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp maple syrup
Juice from half a lemon


Wash the salad, drain it and put it into a bowl. Peel the kiwi. Chop the apple, kiwi, and cucumber, and add to the salad.

In a small frying pan, roast the sunflower seeds with a few dashes of soy sauce on a very high heat for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring or you'll end up with charcoal.

Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup and lemon juice, and season to taste, then pour it over the salad. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top.

Serve with bread and butter.

3 comments:

  1. yummie! sounds sooo good i´ll have it for tomorrow´s lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your pictures are very nice! eypecially compared to the blog i sent to you.
    ya lil sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, dearie!

    call you later tonight! xx

    ReplyDelete